Friday, January 15, 2010

1) The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

I did it!  I've finished ONE BOOK in 2010!  Onward to the next 99!  (OY VEY).

Funny/cute story -- Martin's adorable Polish 'Babcia' (grandmother) constantly said, "Oy yay! Oy yay!" in like, a really sad sort of tone when she was waxing poetic about the great sadnesses and such (all in Polish, Martin had to translate and sometimes he just looked at me and shrugged).  Anyway!  So now Martin and I are always like, "Oy yay, oy yay" when we're feeling 'great sadness' OR when we're reminiscing about visiting Babcia. 

100 books in a year!  OY YAY!, OY YAY!

The first book I read was The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown.  I'm a Dan Brown fan, I am.  However, my favourite books of his are his more stand-alone novels - Digital Fortress and Deception Point.  Angels & Demons is still my favourite Robert Langdon story.  With The Lost Symbol, I found myself feeling how I did when I was reading The Da Vinci Code.  It took me a long time to get into it, some of the way-too-many-details-about-this-and-that-and-this-person distracted me too much from feeling any suspense, and I just didn't get so into it (his other books I'd gobble up in a couple days, flat, however and felt much more captivated and shocked by the twists and turns).

Was it a good book?  Yes.  He's a great writer, there's no doubt.  However, even with a fairly alright twist near the end, it still doesn't rank as my favourite of his stories.  Also, it's very religion-based as most of his Robert Langdon books are, and I just wasn't feeling it.  The big ending was very anti-climactic in my, very humble, opinion.

It wasn't horrible, so if you've previously liked Dan Brown's novels, then definitely give it a read and see for yourself how you feel.  I'm filing this one under "Library It", because that's sort of my middle-of-the-road option (otherwise I just 'recommend' a book or say 'avoid').  I just wasn't personally gripped by this one.  I'd love some more stand-alone thrillers like Digital Fortress or Deception Point from Dan Brown in the future.

One down, ninety-nine to go!

6 comments:

Brandie said...

Yay...one down! Sorry you didn't like this. I can honestly say I have zero desire to read this book. I read the Da Vinci Code and it was alright. Not interested in reading anything else by him, though. So what book is next??

The Wonder Worrier said...

Yeah, like I said, I've liked his other stuff... but this one just wasn't gripping. And for all the "mystery" they talk about, the actual 'reveal' is SO boring, if I was the main character I would have been pissed that I spent all my time worrying about something that dull! LOL.

Well, I'm finishing up a small Charlaine Harris book that I've been reading on the side of this one ("Three Bedrooms, One Corpse" the third of her Aurora Teagarden mysteries), then I have Jane Green's "Swapping Lives" that I borrowed from a friend.

Brandie said...

LOL!!

Huh...I didn't even realize Charlaine Harris wrote anything other then the Sookie series. I've read the first one of that series...and didn't care for it too much. Probably because of my slight Twilight obsession :)

The Wonder Worrier said...

Yeah! She actually has quite a few series'. This one is just alright; but they're light and sometimes you just need something easy, LOL.

I watched the True Blood TV series before I even knew they were based on books, LOL. So I did enjoy the Sookie series, but I think it was because I was already into the show.

My boyfriend's mom couldn't read the Sookie books either, she said she felt like she was "cheating on Twilight". LOL!!!

Brandie said...

EXACTLY how I felt!!! LOL.

rubisco81 said...

My Polish grandmother used to say something similar in times of distress...I found this definition in the CoalSpeak dictionary at http://www.coalregion.com/Speak/speakO.htm

Oi Yayzu! : exclamation, cry of despair. Possibly a derivation of the Polish translation of "Oh, Jesus!" Or perhaps from the Pennsylvania German (i.e. Pennsylvania "Dutch") phrase "Ei Yesu(s)!"