Sunday, February 21, 2010

5) Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire

My reading progress has been very, very slow.  I think it'll start to pick up again though, I have faith, dear Blog readers.

My most recent read was Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West.  I bought this book (or rather, Martin bought it for me) when I went to Martin's house for the weekend and realized I forgot to bring a novel with me (stooopid me!).  I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of "Wicked the Musical" to Toronto -- it comes in June of this year -- so I thought I'd give the book it's based off of a try.

The story is of Elphaba, who later becomes our Wicked Witch of the West.  It begins with her birth, then weaves through defining moments in her life that led to her eventual watery demise courtesy of that strange girl from Kansas and her "annoying little dog".  It paints an interesting picture with a fresh perspective on the original story.

This book was good, it really was.  I love "The Wizard of Oz" (the film, I've never actually read the book), and I love this perspective of that world.  My only complaint, though, was how WORDY this book was.  It took me so long to read it because it was full of character-after-character, description-after-description, location-after-location -- all with unique names and words to describe it.  You were really pushed into the land of Oz as a reader of this story, but I found myself disconnected at times while I sorted through all the WORDS.

I clearly like my novels to be way less "literary masterpiece-ish", so I can read them fast enough to get to 100 in a year, haha.  BRING ON TWILIGHT.

So, if you're interested in this world of Oz at all -- or if you're thinking of seeing the musical Wicked live on stage -- I do recommend this story.  Just be prepared, it isn't exactly a light read and it may take you awhile to get through it.  I did like it a lot though.

95 more... HA. HA. HA.

No comments: