Monday, May 24, 2010

21-24) The Vampire Diaries by LJ Smith

I have been really enjoying the new TV series "The Vampire Diaries".  I knew that the show was based on Young Adult novels of the same name written by LJ Smith, but I hadn't read the books yet.  I decided to give them a try, and borrowed the first two novels (which were combined into one volume) from Martin's sister.  The first two stories are The Awakening and The Struggle, the second two are The Fury and Dark Reunion.

These books are dramatically different that the TV series.  The TV series is also a hundred times better.  There are extra characters in the books who aren't on the show, and there are characters on the show who aren't in the books.  The first couple of books are sort of boring, and I didn't really understand the motivation behind some of the actions of the characters -- it was too forced with no explanations.  The second two stories, once the characters were more established and there was some action, were much better.

At the bookstore the other day I noticed there are more books in this series, which I think were written a little later than these original four stories, and I do feel like I would like to read them too.  However, I'm really glad the TV series is what it is -- the characters are much better explained, I love the backstory they provide, and the characters they've added who are not a part of the books are really layered and interesting.

These books are pretty similar to the Twilight books, which were written many years later than these ones, but the Twilight books are actually a much better read.

At least I knocked four books out of the park in a fairly short time span!

24 read, 76 to go!  I know I'm way behind where I should be, but have faith...

No comments: