Monday, February 1, 2010

4) Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

I finished this last week but didn't have the opportunity to post before today.

BOOK FOUR!  FOUR! I read FOUR in January!  That's about... half of what I need to read each month, so I will need to play catch up later on.  Instead of worrying about that though, let me tell you about this really awesome book.

So, I read Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book One: The Lightning Thief which is by Rick Riordan.  I bought this book for my 11-year-old brother for Christmas, knowing that he likes the Harry Potter series (which we've been reading together over the past few years -- yes, years, our schedules don't always line up for reading together, haha) and other adventure stories too.  I also knew that a film version was coming out soon, so I figured we could see the movie together if he liked the book.

Needless to say, he LOVED the book.  So much so that he read it in a week's time at school (that's pretty fast for him), and he asked me to take him to Chapters to buy Book 2 in the series (with his own money, he's growing up so fast!).  This is a kid who likes reading but isn't necessarily the type to ask to go to the book store, so the book definitely left a great impression on him.

He made sure to pass the book to me next, and I also really enjoyed it.  I've always liked Greek Mythology, so the subject matter appealed to me from the outset, and it was a good little adventure.  The characters are likeable, and I also look forward to reading the rest of the series.

This is a Young Adult series, probably meant for 8-12 year-olds, but like Harry Potter or the Twilight series, it is definitely fun for adults too.  I think both young boys and girls will enjoy this book, but especially if you have a son and you're looking for a new series for him to enjoy, I recommend this one.  I'm looking forward to taking Scooter to the theatre for the film adaptation, and will review the movie too once I see it.

The Lightning Thief is available online on Amazon.ca.

4 down, 96 to go!

No comments: