Sunday, March 14, 2010

9) The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

Having enjoyed the young adult novel, Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief, I've decided to continue to read the series.  My 11-year-old brother is reading the books first, then he passes them to me.  It's quite an enjoyable series -- I think anyone who likes Harry Potter or similar would enjoy these stories.  They're also full of Greek Mythology references, which I enjoy because I love Greek Mythology.

The film version of The Lightning Thief was also pretty good.  I took Scooter to see it last week.  It was different than the book -- an example being that Percy and Annabeth were clearly high school aged teenagers in the movie, but in the book they`re only in the sixth grade -- but it had enough details to keep the story on track enough that it didn`t feel overly changed.  Sure, there were missing characters and a few different locations of some of the events, but mostly it was pretty good.  I`d continue to see the films if they continue to make them.

This second story in the series, The Sea of Monsters, finds Percy and Annabeth on another perilous adventure -- this time to the Sea of Monsters to face a Cyclops and attempt to rescue Grover and obtain the Golden Fleece.  It`s a good little adventure.  I liked the first book just a bit more than this one, but this one has a great twist ending that should make book three pretty interesting.

It`s a good series, definitely check it out if you were a Harry Potter fan or sometimes like reading some of the novels that are written for the younger crowd, but are still entertaining for adults.  If you have a kids in your family, ages 10 or so and up, I definitely recommend these books.

9 down, 91 to go!

No comments: