Thursday, March 18, 2010

14) The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks

I'm a huge Nicholas Sparks fan, and The Last Song did not disappoint.  I was, I will admit, hesitant when it came to starting this one, but once I finally opened it up I read it in a day.  I couldn't even get to sleep last night until I turned the final page.

Why was I hesitant?  Well.  I've been seeing the trailers for the film version, and unfortunately the image of Miley Cyrus as the main character, Ronnie, threw me off.  I'm just not a big fan of Miley.  Nicholas Sparks actually wrote the screenplay for the film before he wrote this novel, specifically for Miley Cyrus to be in the film.  It was just not doing it for me.

Once I got over that though, as I just said - I could. not. put. this. novel. down. 

Some people say that Nicholas Sparks is "predictable" -- but I bet those people don't actually read Nicholas Sparks.  Sure, he has a bit of a formula with his stories (yes, they will take place in North Carolina, and there will be some sort of love story), but I find that each of his novels has a uniqueness to it as well that makes me love them all for various reasons.  His characters are individuals, they aren't cookie-cutter characters.  You also never know if his story will have a "and they lived happily ever after" or end in utter tragedy.

I love his writing.

Read The Last Song, especially if you're already a Nicholas Sparks fan.  Don't let Miley deter you. ;-)

(Also, I will so see the movie, regardless of Miley.  I love Greg Kinnear and I do think the film version will be great).

14 down, 86 to go!

2 comments:

Brandie said...

I couldn't have said it better myself!! Ditto about Miley. I can't stand her...and at first I hesitated with the book because I couldn't get her out of my head. But once I got into it, I loved it. And I SO agree about Sparks writing. I get really annoyed when people say all his books are the same. THEY AREN'T!!! They are all different and I love them.

I'm gonna go see the movie, too. Greg K & Kelly P will be great...even if I have to suffer through Miley.

Drania said...

I adore this book! I read it before the movie (and therefore Miley as Ronnie) was known to me. I'm looking forward to the movie (despite Miley), though, and to reading more of Spark's books.